Tuesday 24 May 2011

Poetry in Motion (Pictures) Part 2


Yesterday I began looking at some of the best uses of poetry in the pictures. Below you can find the second instalment. A touching choice, if I do say so myself.

Truly Madly Deeply (Anthony Minghella, 1990) – The Dead Woman, Pablo Neruda. Truly Madly Deeply is a bit of a forgotten gem as it came out the same year as Ghost (1990) and was along very similar lines. Of course, not being a Demi Moore vehicle and being comparatively under-hyped, Truly Madly Deeply was infinitely better. It starred Juliet Stevenson and Alan Rickman and was one of Anthony Minghella’s classic early works about love, loss and the importance of moving on (told you it was along similar lines to Ghost). Pablo Neruda’s poem is used in a pivotal point in the film, translated from the Spanish. Its significance in relation to the situation the characters are facing undoubtedly makes it one of the best poetry picks in the pictures:

Forgive me
if you, my beloved,
my love, have died
All the leaves,
will fall on my breasts.
It will rain on my soul,
All day, all night.
My feet will want to march,
to where you are sleeping.
but I must go on living.

No comments:

Post a Comment